Fifty-seven works from the Westmoreland's permanent collection make up this exhibition that spans 200 years of American art, from colonial times to the mid-20th century, as the United States came into its own as the cultural capital of the world.
Organized by the Newcomb Art Gallery and the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service, "Women, Art and Social Change: The Newcomb Pottery Enterprise" is the largest presentation of Newcomb arts and crafts in more than 25 years.
Bernd Oppl makes architectural models inspired by the films of Alfred Hitchcock and other horror-genre legends, then introduces an unpredictable substance (for instance, ice or gelatinous goo) and films the effects taking place within those spaces.
Born and resident in Tuscumbia, Ala., for nearly all her life, Mary Wallace Kirk (1889–1978) is virtually unknown today as an artist, despite her training at the Art Students League in New York, where she studied etching with Harry Sternberg.
As part of Art Rocks Athens, the museum will join the UGA Special Collections Library, the Lamar Dodd School of Art, the Lyndon House Arts Center, Ciné and others in celebrating the Athens art and music scene of the 1970s and 1980s.
Scottish artist Patricia Leighton has been making art in the public realm for more than 25 years, creating large-scale permanent commissions that relate to the history of a given site and relevant environmental and ecological conditions.
This periodically rotating exhibition of Belleek porcelain comprises masterworks from the comprehensive and noted collection of Linda N. Beard. The roots of Belleek porcelain production lay in the lands of John Caldwell Bloomfield, who in 1849 had a geologic survey of his property in the village of Belleek, County Fermanagh, in what would later become Northern Ireland, that revealed rich deposits of minerals.jam
With the completion of Phase II, 13 new galleries now house a significantly larger portion of the Georgia Museum of Art's permanent collection, including many of the 100 American paintings that made up Alfred Heber Holbrook's founding gift, with which the museum first opened its doors in November 1948. Holbrook's vision of permanently exhibiting treasures from the museum's collection is, at last, realized.