Exhibitions

Past

Dalí Illustrates Dante’s Divine Comedy

April 10, 2011 - June 19, 2011
Virginia and Alfred Kennedy and Philip Henry Alston Jr. Galleries

In 1957, the Italian Government commissioned Salvador Dalí to illustrate Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy. Dalí’s 100 watercolors were to be reproduced as wood engravings and released as a limited edition print suite in honor of the 700th anniversary of Dante’s birth. When the project was announced to the public, Italians were outraged that a Spaniard had been chosen to honor the anniversary of Dante’s birth, and the commission was rescinded. Dalí, confident that a publisher could be found, continued to work on the project. In order to translate Dalí’s watercolors into printed plates, two artists hand-carved 3,500 blocks, a process that lasted five years. French Publishers Editions les Heures Claires and Editions Joseph Horet jointly produced the “Divine Comedy” Print Suite in 1964. Dalí considered this project to be one of the most important of his career. Organized by the Las Cruces Museum of Art in New Mexico, this exhibition contains all one hundred prints from Salvador Dalí’s “Divine Comedy” Suite and is part of a ten-city national tour developed and managed by Smith Kramer Fine Art Services.

© Salvador Dalí, Fundació Gala-Salvador Dalí / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York 2011

Reproduction, including downloading of Dalí works is prohibited by copyright laws and international conventions without the express written permission of Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York.

image from previous page:
Salvador Dalí (Spanish, 1904–1989)
Dante's Ecstacy
Paradiso
, Canto 15
22 5/8 x 19 7/8 x 1 inches
© Salvador Dalí, Fundació Gala-Salvador Dalí / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York 2011

detail above from:
Salvador Dalí (Spanish, 1904–1989)
The Waterfall of the Phlegethon
Inferno, Canto 34
22 5/8 x 19 7/8 x 1 inches
© Salvador Dalí, Fundació Gala-Salvador Dalí / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York 2011
 

 

Sponsors

Shannon and Peter Candler in honor of Dr. Peter M. Candler Jr. and Matthew Warren Candler, the W. Newton Morris Charitable Foundation and the Friends of the Georgia Museum of Art